While Tufts University in Massachusetts is best known as a very selective research university that offers a diversity of strong undergraduate degree programs, it also offers two First-Year Global Programs that could be great experiences for students looking for a novel start to their undergraduate studies. Both of these programs offer the opportunity to live and work overseas with a cohort of other Tufts students while supporting a community organization, living with a local host family, and discovering the world beyond the borders of the United States of America.
A First-Year Fall Semester Abroad: The Tufts Civic Semester
- Civic Semester participants take classes together on the Tufts campus in August before departing for one of two service locations (Peru or China) where they study the local language and work part-time at a community organization.
- Students return to campus for their Spring term with a full semester of academic credit, allowing them to graduate in four years.
- Civic Semester is a student’s first semester of college, and tuition and fees cover all expenses, including the option to utilize financial aid awards.
A Gap Year Before Tufts: The Tufts 1+4 Bridge Year Program
- Tufts 1+4 is a year of full-time international work before students begin their four years of study on campus.
- In one of four countries (Uruguay, India, Brazil, or Ecuador) across the globe, students make a difference on an issue they care about, have time to explore new interests, and return with a deeper sense of self and a broader perspective on the world.
- The Tufts 1+4 program offers full financial support for any student who is admitted to the program and qualifies for Tufts financial aid at any level.
If you are interested in one of these unique programs, you should indicate interest in them on your first-year application to Tufts. You will have the chance to apply for them on the Tufts applicant portal once you submit your Tufts application or at any time once you have been accepted to Tufts University.
For more information, contact [email protected]